Franchise Law - What We Do
What does a law firm specializing in franchise law actually do?
During the last 18 months, we were fortunate to have the opportunity to represent many franchisors and licensors, franchisees and licensees and sellers and buyers in a wide variety of matters, including the following transactions. As franchise lawyers, we acted as counsel for:
- 4 sellers/franchisors in asset sales of more than 50 company-owned units to franchisees.
- 5 franchisors in more than 30 franchisee-to-franchisee transfers of franchised units.
- 2 franchisors in more than 10 franchisee renewals of Franchise Agreements.
- 5 franchisors in more than 20 default, termination and work-out matters.
- 15+ franchise candidates in their decision-making process for the purchase of various franchisors' franchises.
- The franchisee/seller of more than 40 franchised units to successor franchisees.
- 2 buyers in asset and stock acquisitions of independent businesses.
- A hotel owner/licensee who entered into a licensing agreement with celebrity chefs for the development of a new restaurant concept in the hotel.
- 3 franchisors who entered into short and long term development agreements with their franchisees for more than 75 franchised units.
- 3 franchisors who sold franchises in 5 foreign countries.
- Our franchise law group conducted franchise due diligence for the buyers in 2 multi-million dollar acquisitions of franchisors.
- We registered, renewed, amended and exempted Franchise
Disclosure Documents for more than 20 franchisors in every
- Barry Kurtz served as a consultant to law firms or as an expert witness in 5 franchisor/franchisee related matters.
First and foremost, we are franchise attorneys. Additionally, we have substantial experience representing sellers and buyers of businesses of all kinds